This year I'm gonna finally go for those Wachusett Lakers. Can't wait till next week. My question for you guys is how is the afternoon/sundown bite over there? I'm either working or in school most mornings so I'm gonna have to go for the "sundown shift" for the time being.

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:48 pm

It gets dark fast. Lol. The evening bite can be incredible with all the fish they have. We catch them in the dark. Early and late. I say early for Lakers or the bigger ones

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I am to take it that the spring season for trout at the Chu is over already, or just for lake trout?

I had a vague idea of trying it out, but it's a haul for me.

I may just focus on the trout spots around the greater Framingham area for a while longer before I go back to bass, which weren't biting for me on the few trips I took earlier in March.

My trout appetite was whet by the two nice rainbows I caught at Walden Pond last Friday. Crapped out at Dug Pond in Natick the next day though. May try the Ashland Rez this Sunday.

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Duh, me.

Just realized the comments I was reading were from LAST year.

Keep calm and carry on, just ignore my last question ... Confused

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:08 pm

opening day this weekend.....i'm more for the smallies when it comes to the chu, i live five minutes away and go at all different times. i know a lot of guys that go for lakers and they like it early in the morn, but late afternoons can be very good also , or overcasts days, especially if it's cold and crappy weather. Since i prefer to eat the landlock salmon, i have a couple of spots that i like when it's really nasty cold wind and rain...i do well for salmon with a silver and orange hammered finish spoon, and the lakers seem to prefer a blue and silver kastmaster , and will also hit a little cleo sometimes. most guys fish shiners that they get at the bait and tackle shop on rt. 12 and jct of rt.110

Posted Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 pm

snow66

opening day this weekend.....i'm more for the smallies when it comes to the chu, i live five minutes away and go at all different times. i know a lot of guys that go for lakers and they like it early in the morn, but late afternoons can be very good also , or overcasts days, especially if it's cold and crappy weather. Since i prefer to eat the landlock salmon, i have a couple of spots that i like when it's really nasty cold wind and rain...i do well for salmon with a silver and orange hammered finish spoon, and the lakers seem to prefer a blue and silver kastmaster , and will also hit a little cleo sometimes. most guys fish shiners that they get at the bait and tackle shop on rt. 12 and jct of rt.110

Another vote for the 1oz kastmaster. Nickel/blue or gold.

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks! I'd do a morning shift if I could, but my work/school schedule wont allow it. I'll probably hit it every other day or so (weather permitting). I've stocked the trout box with kastmasters, little cleos, Daredevles and a few phoebes. Should be enough to get started with. I'm thinking I'll set up a bait rod with a live shiner and use my noodle rod to huck those lures the rest of the day. I've heard people say small yellow perch work well too. We'll see how it goes.

Posted Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 am

Anybody get any luck today?

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:05 pm

Big live bait for Lakers n yah kast masters I prefer gold when I do toss em half ounce to an ounce. Like the method of 1 bait n 1 lure.

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:43 pm

No lakers yet, but the Old man and I have been getting some nice salmon action. We killed 'em on little cleo spoons yesterday! All on the small side, but a good bite!

Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:34 am

YOU BASTID!!!!! im jealous! this is my 4th year of fishing there, ive caught ton of lakers but never got a salmon! I NEED MY FIRST SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 am

bassturds

YOU BASTID!!!!! im jealous! this is my 4th year of fishing there, ive caught ton of lakers but never got a salmon! I NEED MY FIRST SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!

This seems to be the year to do it! Whole place is popping for Salmon right now. I got 2 so far and dad has 7 (why do I bring him again? xD). We each have a small keeper out of those, most were about 14 inches or so. Hey BadLarry? How’s gate 14 going? We were wondering whether we should move or keep hitting what I now dub the “salmon hole.”

Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:27 am

see....just like i said....little cleo

Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Haven't hit 14 my first day out was today hit by the old stone church n got my first landlock as well. Also lost one at my feet both lil guys but beautiful fish. I almost went back out for shot at 14 but decided happy wife happy life and stayed home so I didn't have to hear about it. Back out soon though

Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Any news from 1st few weeks at the Chu?

I was thinking about going out this Sunday, in the afternoon. I plan on doing a lot of frog bait fishing this year and have a new rod and baitcast reel setup. I have not fished a baitcaster in a decade, so was thinking I would bring some spoons and fire out casts for a couple hours to get the hang of it back. If I get a random lucky bite, that's bonus.

I was thinking gate 8, to the left of the sandbar about 200 yards. Have the crowds been crazy so far? I just want enough room to cast and not be on top of someone.

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links