rangerdanger

stump

rangerdanger

I fish a private pond In dartmouth ma that was loaded with 5-7 bass . Over the past five years Pickeral have taken over and ruined the forage base , and now all the fish are between one and two pounds with an occasional three pounder . Now we get rid of the Pickeral and have started restocking perch , and bluegill . Let me say this is a private man made pond so it's completely legal to kill as many Pickeral as you want so we kill everyone. To answer your question killing Pickeral isn't wrong or stupid in some situations ,it's called lake management. Honestly there a freeking garbage fish and a nuisance and I haven't enjoyed catching them since I was 12 , junk fish.

Well in this case how does this guy know how many fish are in the pond, maybe he just cant catch many bass, If your not counting the fish or using some other method other than saying I have caught many bass lately let kill all the pickerel it just seems stupid.

. I've fished the lake for 20 years and it never had Pickeral and was loaded with slobs . Ever since the predator to prey ratio got out of hand due to the Pickeral that were introduced the size of the bass ha been cut in less than half . I'm not saying to kill Pickeral in every lake and if you read my post you would see that , you sound pretty dumb . Happy Easter Wink

Hey Ranger I'm just putting this out there to hear peoples opinions and I did read you last post and you don't sound like an expert so when you say 'you sound pretty dumb ." to whom are you speaking about?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for posting that pickerel info. I fish on a private pond in Marstons Mills and while ice fishing my wife freaked when she watched some other anglers leave their catch on the ice to die. Then recently a friend asked me if i was killing the pickerel I caught and now I know why.
Happy resurrection day

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:31 pm

thanks for all the post I think I agree with the majority here. Don't like to catch pickerel but private pond or not let the professionals weed out the fish if necessary not the guy on the pond who thinks he knows what's best.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Pickerel were here before me, and will be here after me... Let nature figure things out...

Like Don says - they're slimy, but they're welcome when bass aren't cooperating.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:11 pm

wow ... well I wasn't calling anyone here stupid unless your the guy at box pond and I think it just seems stupid to me that hes going around telling people to do this is all. I also was just asking opinions here so back off. There is always a guy that likes to run his mouth on the internet and I guess your one.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:15 pm

daily keep is 5 pickerel over 15". They do make a very good yet stinky fertilizer, or good food for stray cats.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:10 pm

trashmanssd

daily keep is 5 pickerel over 15". They do make a very good yet stinky fertilizer, or good food for stray cats.

aaah will they kill grubs ?

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:12 pm

I've heard they're good eating too, I do have my doubts though😬

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Some guys just love to argue! Laughing

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm not a fish eater, but I save a few for people who do. They say pickeral and pike taste great, just tricky to clean around the Y bones. Most fish taste better caught thru the ice also. There is no need to waste anything on purpose.

I prefer bass fishing, but have no problem with any other species. Pickeral have saved a no flag day on the ice many times.

There are a few ponds in my area (NE MA.) that are over run with stunted panfish. The pickeral are huge in there, and they are just an important predator as the next.

Leave the management of public waters to the biologists, not anglers who think they know what is correct, there are a lot of factors to consider. Also leaving fish around that you just killed because you think they ate all your 5-7lb bass is just plain stupid, and is a punishable offence, it's called wanton waste.
A true sportsman conserves nature's resources!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:10 pm

I agree with most here, that it's a waste and uncalled for to deliberately kill a fish just because one thinks they are a nuisance.

On another note, I find it comical that the guy calling another guy stupid in this thread, can't spell pickerel correctly. Wow!!

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 pm

kenwood

Pickerel are only a nuisance fish to selfish fisherman who only want to catch bass.

That's me! Wink

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

tseastedt

kenwood

Pickerel are only a nuisance fish to selfish fisherman who only want to catch bass.

That's me! Wink

Looking at your profile picture you look like you eat what you catch

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:20 pm

stump

tseastedt

kenwood

That's me! Wink

Looking at your profile picture you look like you eat what you catch

Haha I usually only keep bass through the ice...I've been late on hooksets though, and have had to keep a bass here and there during the warmer months..a nice trout in the grill though, that's in play all year!

My feeling is, if I kill it, accidentally or not, it can't go to waste. I've never had pickerel though, and I did hear that it is a tasty fish despite the bones.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Pickerel is French for fertilizer..... Look it up!!

Posted Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:13 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links